Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Beginning of Something Beautiful

Some days the sun seems to shine a little brighter, the birds sing a little more chipper, and the world seems like a better place. Today just might be one of those days.

We made the leap into the world of domestic help today. It has taken nearly 17 months, but I have finally decided not to be the only person in my entire neighborhood without some help around the house. Nothing too drastic mind you, just a faxineira (cleaning lady), but still.

I was worried that it would be weird having someone in my house. Especially someone who is cleaning my toilets, scrubbing my floors, and ironing my clothes. And you know what? It is kind of strange.

But as I sit at my computer sipping a pineapple-banana smoothie taking in the wonderful aroma of various cleaning products being used without my elbow grease, well, I think that maybe, just maybe, I can get used to it. After all, I've always had a bit of an affection for weird and strange.

Updated at 5:52 pm -

After being here since 9:30, my new favorite person just left the premises. All that remains now is me and sparkling windows, incredibly fresh smelling bathrooms, a sliding glass door to my shower that's so NOT covered in water spots that I almost walked right into it when I went to get a shower earlier, floors that no longer turn my feet black when I walk on them, dust free counters and surfaces, a promise to do all my ironing when she comes back on Friday (those windows took up a bit of time today, you know, since I haven't gotten around to cleaning them since (oh my goodness, am I really about to admit this) um, August). . .

and all she took with her was US$25.

Good grief, would someone please tell me why we didn't do this months ago?!?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does she travel?

Beth O. said...

I hope she travels! Send her my way! Jason would love you!

Ray Adkins said...

Emily,

You made us miss Brazil more than ever before...

Anonymous said...

You didn´t do it earlier because it is ingrained that not cleaning your own house would be "lazy". In fact, with the medieval Brazilian cleaning tools (don´t get me started on the "rodo"), having soneone else do this is actually more efficient, not to mention your are helping the economy. Does she work north of Lourdes? I really need a faixineira too!!

Anonymous said...

I am sooooo jealous right now! Forget my viking......you have a MAID!!

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Looks like I am the only one still holding out. ;) Ha, ha! Your comment about the shower door and black feet cracked me up. I can definitely relate. I've never lived in anything in my life that gets as dirty as our apartment here, must just be windows with no screens. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you found someone... and that they showed up!